The Cook Report - Watching the Dodgy Private Investigators (1997 documentary)

Sysop
Site Admin
Site Admin
Colonel
Colonel

The Cook Report - Watching the Dodgy Private Investigators (1997 documentary)

Post by Sysop »

I found this Cook Report show/documentary from 1997 quite interesting; amongst other things it shows 'dodgy PIs' hiring a BT engineer to bug a landline phone by hardwiring a telephone exchange box outside their property...

YouTube video: The Cook Report - Watching the Detectives/Dodgy PIs S15E03 (1997)
Mickie
Regular
Regular

Re: The Cook Report - Watching the Dodgy Private Investigators (1997 documentary)

Post by Mickie »

Great find. Even back in the day they were calling for a licensing system to be adopted. I'm still glad it hasn't been :lol:
Sysop
Site Admin
Site Admin
Colonel
Colonel

Re: The Cook Report - Watching the Dodgy Private Investigators (1997 documentary)

Post by Sysop »

Mickie wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:25 am Great find. Even back in the day they were calling for a licensing system to be adopted. I'm still glad it hasn't been :lol:
Licensed private investigators in the United States have access to government databases to aid them during investigations and make the job easier, they are given more powers than laymen. If a licensing system is ever introduced in the UK, I think it will mean a lot more bureaucracy, form filling and cost without any of those benefits. That tends to follow the British style of doing things- overregulation without any tangible benefits.